Castello Sforzesco ๑ Milano ๑ Milan ๑ Lombardia ๑ Italy ๑ travel ๑ map ๑ info ๑ what to see in ๑ how to go to ๑ opening hours ๑ address ๑ advices ๑ curiosity ๑ recipes ๑ accommodation ๑ photos
Castello Sforzesco (Sforza Castle)
About Castello Sforzesco
The Castello Sforzesco is one of the main symbols of Milano and its history. It was built in the fifteenth century by Francesco Sforza, who was for some time Duke of Milan, on the ruins of an earlier fortification dating back to the fourteenth century known as Castrum portae Jovis (Castello di porta Giovia o Zobia).
Over the centuries the castle has been considerable changed. Between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries it was one of the major military citadels in Europe.
Today Castello Sforzesco is home to important cultural institutions and tourist destination.
Museums and Exhibitions in Castello Sforzesco
Currently Castello Sforzesco hosts:
- Museum of Prehistory
- Egyptian Museum
- Museum of Ancient Art
- Museum of Musical Instruments
- Museum of Mobile
- Art Collections
- Extra-European Collections
- Rivellino of the Holy Spirit (excursion through the roofs and covered walkways on the outer walls of the castle)
- Municipal Historical Archives and Library Trivulziana
- Art Library of the Castello Sforzesco
- Civic Collection of prints Achille Bertarelli
- Library of the Castle
- as well as numerous exhibitions.
Take a look before at the Culture and Events of Castello Sforzesco to see what new you can go and visit there.
Don't miss also to visit and see beautiful large Park Parco Sempione that is situated just behind Castello Sforzesco.
In Winter: 7.00 - 18.00
In Summer: 7.00 a.m. - 19.00
Free admission (except for the castle museums)
The Castle Museum:
From Tuesday to Sunday:
9.00 – 17.30 ( last admission at 17.00)
Mondays (holidays included),
December 25, January 1, May 1, Easter Monday.
Booking for schools is required!
Milano 20121, Italy
Piazza Castello 3, Castle Curator
☎ +39 02 88 46 37 00; +39 02 88 46 37 03
Web Site: Official Web Site
Underground: MM1 Cadorna, Cairoli - MM2 Cadorna, Lanza
Buses: 18, 50, 37, 58, 61, 94
Trams: 1, 2, 4, 12, 14, 19
Accommodation, Hotels, Rooms, Bed and Breakfast, Agritourism and More
- Cannot find your place? - It is Easy - Check on the Banner links on TravelMapItaly!
- Wanna be Our Sponsor or Recommend Your Accommodations? - Simply Contact TravelMapItaly.
Map of Castello Sforzesco